Constance Pastry Competition: a Look Back at the Iconic 16th Edition of the Gastronomic Competition!
The Constance Pastry Competition, an annual rendezvous for Indian Ocean gastronomy, returned for its 16th edition from March 11th to 18th, 2023.
Established in 2006, this highly popular event holds a prominent place in the international culinary calendar and attracts epicureans from around the world. During the festival week, Michelin-starred chefs and world-renowned pastry chefs, in partnership with Constance Hotels & Resorts' chefs, shared their passion for cuisine and pastry.
As in previous years, the program included a series of four competitions (the Deutz Trophy, the Bernard Loiseau Trophy, the Pierre Hermé Trophy, and the Art of Table Trophy) and exciting events (eight special dinners and three masterclasses).
The festival embodies the spirit of sharing and friendship within the group—a true moment of conviviality and bonding between professionals and enthusiasts united by their love for gastronomy and pastry.
The Deutz Trophy and the Bernard Loiseau Trophy
For this 16th edition, six Michelin-starred chefs from across Europe participated in the event:
- Alain Bianchin, Maison Alain Bianchin (Belgium)
- Christopher Haatuft, Lysverket Restaurant, Bergen (Norway)
- Mark Kempson, Kitchen W8, London (United Kingdom)
- Riccardo Gaspari, SanBrite Restaurant, Cortina d'Ampezzo (Italy)
- Romuald Fassenet, Château Mont Joly, Jura (France)
- Thomas Wohlfeld, Handwerk Restaurant, Hannover (Germany)
Divided into pairs, they cooked alongside six Constance group chefs from Mauritius, Maldives, and Seychelles. Together, they created culinary masterpieces and competed for the prestigious title of the winner. It was a great opportunity for each of them to showcase their skills, expertise, and respective passions while highlighting the warm local culture and culinary traditions of Mauritius.
- 1st Prize: Romuald Fassenet (Chef * Château Mont Joly, Jura, France) and Mahendran Seenivasan (Constance Halaveli Maldives)
- 2nd Prize: Christopher Haatuft and Akash Kumar from Constance Lemuria.
- 3rd Prize: Thomas Wohlfeld and Tatiana Ponton from Constance Belle Mare Plage.
- The Deutz Trophy: Christopher Haatuft –Chef * Lysverket restaurant, Bergen in Norway
Pastry Competition: Pierre Hermé - Valrhona Trophy
Valrhona was proud to once again partner with this pastry competition presided over by Pierre Hermé, one of the great masters of French pastry and the world's best pastry chef in 2016.
Year after year, the presented desserts become increasingly creative and innovative. For the 2023 edition, six top pastry chefs were selected—great masters of French pastry who collaborated with the pastry chefs from six Constance establishments to create innovative and delectable creations.
- Jéremy Aspa - Pastry Instructor at l'Ecole Valrhona (France)
- Jérôme de Oliveira - Maison Jérôme de Oliveira - 2009 World Pastry Champion (France)
- Mathieu Kamm - Pâtisserie Kamm (France)
- Pascal Lac - Pâtisserie Lac (France)
- Sébastien Bouillet - Bouillet Chocolatier Pâtissier (France)
The jury comprised pastry chefs Pierre Hermé, Frédéric Cassel (president of the prestigious Association Relais Desserts), as well as Mercotte (a famous TV presenter and culinary blogger).
The winners of the Pierre Hermé-Valrhona Trophy were Jérôme de Oliveira and Aurélie Jugoo (Constance Belle Mare Plage, Mauritius). Cédric Pernot and Atish Gopee (Constance Prince Maurice, Mauritius) secured the second-place position, while Pascal Lac and Chander Rawat (Constance Lemuria, Seychelles) reached the third-place podium.
Sharing, expertise, creativity, and respect for local products were the main ingredients of success during this high-level gourmet week. See you in 2024 for another program filled with competitions and emotions!